Last Shout - Posted by: Kalamari - Saturday, 03 May 2014 00:27
Does it look like it? Any links that are Mega or Mediafire, or any host that is instant to download, are allowed. ANY LINKS that give you money, you will be banned on sight.

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

October 31, 2014, 02:57:18 AM
gfxgfx

gfx* Home Help Search Tags Calendar Login Registergfx
Tags:
PSXhaven.com  |  General Category  |  Tutorials  |  PCSX2 Tutorial 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PCSX2 Tutorial  (Read 8496 times)
Ketchup
VIP

United States United States

View Profile Email
« on: October 20, 2009, 02:03:04 PM »

I have set up multiple instances of  PS2 emulation on various computers  and i thought i might like to share  my experiences with you.

If you are interested in PS2  emulation, it is very fun to play the games. However, it is also great fun  just playing with the emulation and trying to get it work.

So this is my walkthrough on getting it set up for your system.
(forgive my grammar or spelling errors please, or send  private messages to ask me to fix them=)

First things first--- PC specs are important! If your computer is not very very close or better than the generalized PC in my little system requirements section, you probably wont be playing any 3d PS2 games at full speed.

Requirements:
Dual Core system (athlon x2, core 2 duo or better. Pentium 4 dual IS NOT RECOMMENDED) @ 2.8ghz+ (3.3ghz+ recommended)

2 gigabytes or more of system ram.

Direct x 9.0c or 10.1 compliant* video card. geforce 6800+ or radeon
2900+ or better recommended.
------------------------------------

Most important is your CPU speed, (i am an AMD overclocking nutball, so
just send me a private message if you have an AMD system and want to push a little more out of it)
------------------------------------

Now assuming you have an adequate system, there are 2 things you will need to get started.
First is an emulator. I prefer PCSX2
PCSX2

Second is a game, you can get PS2 ISOs just about anywhere, they are usually 4gb to 7.5gb in size.

Now then you should have a game, and the emulator.

You need to configure this based on your system settings.
I will be posting a few screenshots in this section to explain what to do and how to do it.

#1 Video Setup

in PCSX2 (i'm using the 1190 version for speed reasons, the 0.9.6 version is slightly more compatible, and the 1190 version is slightly faster.)
Click on Config and then Configure.
It will bring up the menu on the left with all of your plugins.

Go ahead and click on configure next to the video plugin.
You will need to select Directx 9.0 or 10.0 depending on whether you are using Windows XP or Windows Vista.
Here in the screenshot are my settings, Play around with them as you wish for image quality / performance (lower resolution = higher performance, and vise versa)

Interlacing also helps with speed, feel free to experiment with it during the game (f5) to test it out.

#2 CD/DVD Setup.
This one is important.
You will notice the Linuz ISO DVD plugin is selected, that is because if the emulator is running straight from an ISO, it loads much faster and runs more smoothly than if you mount the image, or if you're using a PS2 dvd itself.
So rip your ISO's and run it with this plugin for best results.

Click configure next to Linuz ISO DVD plugin. Dont compress the iso, dont enable block dump, just simply click "select iso" and find it on your computer.

#3 Set Plugins and Set Bios directory.
wherever you extracted the bios/plugins, just point these 2 to the appropriate sections in the PCSX2 folder.

#4 Sound--
I use ZeroSPU2 but you may get better results with another plugin. It should be set up correctly already, but feel free to leave comments on this thread if you have questions.

#5 Input (controls)

I use SSSPSX Pad Plugin Pressure Mod 1.7.0, its very easy to see which buttons are what, and map them accordingly. Make sure you can familiarize yourself with the controlls. I recommend buying a PS2 controller and USB adapter so that you can just use a PS2 controller. It makes it much easier, trust me.

#5 Running the game.

Click on File- and then Run cd/dvd.
Assuming you followed my walkthrough so far, the game should load up and begin to run. If it doesn't, make sure the "speed hacks" section under "config - speed hacks" is turned off for better compatibility. Or explain to me what happened, and i will attempt to help with the issue.

Enjoy!

Section #6. MOAR SPEED!!!!!!!

6-1
Dual Core CPU
If you dont have one, you wont get full speed****

Click on Config - Cpu and make sure multi-core and EERec is ticked.

6-2 Speed Hacks

click Config - Speed hacks .
This screenshot shows the best settings i have found for many many of the games i run, however your specific game may not like them, or may need different combonations of them.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions please feel free to either post on this thread, or send me a PM.

Happy Emulating!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:15:38 PM by Ketchup » Logged
Playgame38
VIP

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:05:08 PM »

Nice, +1 rep for you. I still prefer to use the original console swap method and HDD loader for PS2 Cd games.

PS2 FAT  -  Swap Magic w/Slide Tool + FreeMCBoot + HDLoader w/40GB HDD
PSP Slim Silver  -  Pandora Battery + 5.50 GEN-D3
Nintendo DSL  -  R4i Gold w/2GB Micro SD
Wii  -  Bootmii w/Boot2 + 4.3U + cIOS rev18
N1ghtWalff

Canada Canada

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:11:42 PM »

Nicely done, +1 rep! I also still prefer to use my console since I don't get very impressive results with my current PC.
offthewall
Administrator

thedoors2112@hotmail.com offthewall2112
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:20:23 AM »

Good work! I prefer using a chipped PS2 instead, but this will be good for those that can only use PCSX2. +rep

Live Help in our chatroom, irc.freenode.net/dchaven
Ketchup
VIP

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 07:07:22 AM »

I'm glad I could help stajan. I'm sure at least a few others will find something useful in this tutorial.
I enjoy being able to play ps2 on my laptop on the road (I travel the US for work) so PCSX2 is a godsend to me.
I am working on a detailed and informative tutorial for Gamecube and Wii emulation currently, but I don't think that it would fit anywhere in this forum.
If a moderator, or admin messages me I will post the Gamecube / Wii FAQ/Tutorial, but otherwise just send me a PM if you're interested because you probably won't see it on this forum.

Enjoy!
jjtiebuckle
deez mon
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 09:34:38 AM »

You're right. It probably belongs in http://romhaven.info/, which unfortunately has been down for awhile. However, you can post the tutorials up in the mean time if you're a firm believer in sharing is caring, otherwise for PMs!

Rule #15) DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS IN GAME THREADS, ONLY THANKS AND COMMENTS ALLOWED. IF YOUR HAVING TROUBLE CREATE A NEW THREAD IN THE HELP SECTION.
Ketchup
VIP

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 08:14:21 AM »

yes just edit your last post with the specs and I will let you know

bloodrose, you'll need at LEAST 2.8ghz+ to get good speed on the most compatible games. you'll need at least 3.3ghz+ for full speed on the most compatible games, and at least 3.7ghz+ for an easy and enjoyable experience
loveless angle
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »

Thank you soo much! I've been trying to configure it fr awhile now and you did it thanks!
romtyrone
N00b

Germany Germany

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 03:01:14 AM »

Nice Tutorial thank you very mucho
Dragonice
N00b

Behold! "As l turn your own power against you!"

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 01:11:27 PM »

thanks man.....

where i can download this sofware but for my mac os ?
[/quote]

Hello!, Wink to answer your question:
I think that the best place to find the most current revision is
http://cid-ec92aae47a89073b.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Emulation/Pcsx2?view=details

The games that I can get to work on my PCSX2 at 100% are Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Riders Zero Gravity, Sonic Heroes, Warriors Orochi 2, and Kingdom Hearts.
Since my lower than average cpu can play those game well then many other CPUs should also be able to play well. Alot of other games work on mine, but only at 60-to 80%. My laptop specs are Dual core Pentium, 2 gigahertz, GMA 4500.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:13:59 PM by Dragonice » Logged

"He who is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who is impulsive exalts great folly."
psypher05
N00b

it may symbolize war but deep inside its peace

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 10:13:24 PM »

i followed all of your instruction but the game wont start...it just only on the menu of the ps2...>.<...actually the game that i played there is kingdom hearts 1...soo any help?...>.<
kyo600
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 09:58:30 AM »

great guide now i can finally play games at full speed +1 rep
miked351
VIP

Sweet....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 12:33:52 AM »

Cant wait to try this on my new pc! an intel core i5 750 quad core, 4gb ram
and radeon 4850 512mb. do you think this will run it smoothly? otherwise i will just continue to use my chipped slim PS2.
Tags:
PSXhaven.com  |  General Category  |  Tutorials  |  PCSX2 Tutorial « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to: